National Emergency Museum
The National Emergency Services Museum is based in the old West Bar Fire and Police Station.
The building opened in 1900 and was built by Messrs Ash, Son and Biggin. The Police Station was housed on the left hand side of the building with the fire brigade on the right for easy access to the stables and the fire appliances.
In September 1900 the building was opened as a Police & Fire station and was one of the UK's first purpose built stations. In 1929 the Fire Service moved to Rockingham Street.
The 1st of September 1939 saw the start of World War 2, and shortly after the war broke out, two of the police cells were knocked together to make a safe secure location for the police's telephone communications.
In 1965 the Police moved to new premises just up the road (West Bar) and the building became a warehouse, shop and offices until the late 1970’s.
In 1980 the Museum was acquired by The South Yorkshire Historical Society in a derelict condition.
In 1982 The Main Yard was opened for viewing on one Sunday of every month.
The Society set about restoring the building to show artefacts dating back to the late 1700’s. The building provides the perfect setting for the museum and displays many interesting pieces.
The National Emergency Services Museum is now one of the World's largest volunteer run museums, and also one of the most haunted buildings in South Yorkshire.